Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sixgun Handgunnery

I just got done reading Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter. Not to ruin it for anyone, but the last part of the book REALLY made me want to work on my DA revolver work.

I've committed to finding an inexpensive DA .38 service revolver... possibly even a pair, and maybe even in .357.

I've got a pair of Redhawks (with my monicker? go figure...) but my one-handed shooting is not ready even for .44 special in my dominant left hand. I've also discovered that my Hogue monogrip on my "first" redhawk is great for two handed target shooting, but not so great for one-handed shooting. I'm going to put the factory grip back on, but with the addition of a Tyler T-grip to block in the area behind the trigger guard. That's the whole reason I went with the monogrip in the first place... that space behind the trigger guard. If the T-grip and factory grips work out well, I'll outfit the "second" redhawk the same way. It's a 4" model with the new cushy rubberized grips.

I want to work up to where I can ultimately run a pair of Redhawks (one in each hand) with moderate .44 magnum loads, accurately. I've started with my crapper Taurus 94 in .22 already, but I'm about ready to move up to .38's for the next phase, with the intention of progressing from gallery .38's to standard .38's to .357 magnums to .44 specials and ultimately to the .44 magnum.

Anyways, I'm looking for used, pre-lock S&W's, Colts or Rugers: S&W K-frames 10, 19, 65, 66.... Colt Trooper or Cobra (though less desireable since these tend to cost more than they are worth to me for this project)... Ruger security sixes. Condition isn't an issue: cosmetic flaws are welcome as these guns are going to shoot a LOT of rounds while I train my hands up. Worn bluing or old worn chrome is just fine: These things will see a LOT of Hoppes in the next couple years. I'd like to have a pair of the same model so left and right hand don't get accustomed to a particular gun's action type.

And, I'll need gun leather appropriate to this. Since I'll be shooting these often, I'm probably going to be putting my trusty Commander in the safe for awhile and relying on these guns instead as my carry weapon(s). I'll need left and right handed OWB holsters without an aggressive retention system, I'll need a left handed IWB holster for one of 'em... and I might even want to experiment with cross-draw, though most ranges around here don't allow for cross-draw practice.

No comments: