Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to Steel

I went back to steel 2 weeks ago.  Ran the CZ-75 with Winchester WWB factory 115gr FMJ ammo.  Got done in 112.71.  This week, I took some cheap reloads (mixed brass, CCI small primers, 122gr LRNFP bullet) that I cooked up.  I was worried about them because I hadn't had time to shoot them at the range prior to coming out, to see if they might not work properly. 

No need to worry.  100% reliability.  They shot cleaner than the WWB.  I cleaned the gun tonight (two weeks ago, as well), there was just a smidge of carbon blowback inside the slide and at the barrel's ramp.  Leading down bore was gone after 15-20 passes with a bronze brush wet with Hoppes.  Very quick and easy cleaning.

Time tonight was 104.09.

I did some light 'smithing work on the CZ, too.  I replaced the factory front sight with a fiber optic one.  Mounted the slide in my drill press and drilled out the necessary hole in the replacement front sight post.  100% successful, no problems encountered at all.  POI = POA still.

I need some heavier CZ magazines, though:  Even with the drop-free mag brake, completely empty mags don't always drop free.  Gonna have to find a few mags with extended base-pads that are heavy enough to fall free.  I guess it's okay if they take a few more rounds, too.

Shooting the CZ in "Limited" division, loading mags to 16rd capacity, holstered with safety on and single action first shot.  If I were to shoot in "Production," I would have to limit myself to 10rds in the mags and first shot would have to be DA.  At least, that's how I understand it.  Still trying to fully figure out the divisions.

No comments: