Monday, February 21, 2011

Washington's Birthday CHOKE!

204-1x out of 300.

[hangs head in shame]

That's 68%, whereas my last two matches have been 80%.

I think I got bit by a lack of environmental knowledge.  We went directly from standing to rapid prone with no sighters.  I was shooting low, by about 3-4 MOA.  Part-way through my rapid prone my spotter team-mate told me I was hitting low.  I adjusted hold from 6-o'clock on target to center of target for 3MOA increase.  That moved me from the 5/6 ring area to the 7 ring.  I dropped off-target with 1 shot, scoring 1 miss.  Part way through that string the sun peaked out.  "Lights up, sights up!"  When the light gets significantly brighter, you tend to drop your shots 2 MOA on target.  So, my 3MOA sight hold adjustment got mostly negated by the increase in light.

So, I now know I lose about 3-4 MOA when going from standing to prone.

And I'll remember to compensate for increased light (or a decrease in light by dropping my sights 2MOA when the sun is obscured by a cloud).

Not happy with that score.  But, there's always next year.

No comments: