Friday, October 30, 2009

The only S&W's I own

I own two Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Actually, for full disclosure, I'm not sure if I really own  the second one yet. 

The first one and solidly in my possession is a 2008 S&W model 642-1 snubnose .38 revolver.  Double-action only, lightweight aluminum frame, no internal lock system.  I refuse to buy any S&W revolver with a lock installed in it.

The second revolver is a S&W model 65 K-frame in .357 magnum.  It was shipped to my gun dealer of choice this week and I'm picking it up on Saturday.  I've paid for it, but I haven't taken possession of it or undergone the mandatory NICS check since it is an interstate purchase yet.  I have a CCW permit so I'm not likely to have my NICS check denied... What do you think?  Is it "mine" at this point?

Looking forward to this K-frame.  I'm going to be using it for my earlier stated uses in this post.  Lots of .38 to put downrange.  Last night I scrounged up all my .38 brass I could find.  Definitely don't have as much of it as I wish I had... maybe 500-600 pieces total.  Historically I've just kind of walked on by .38 brass on the ground, looking for .357 to feed my SP-101.  Wish I picked up those thousands of cases over the years.  Well, I can change that from here on out.

Going to tuesday night steel at the Usery Pass range this week.  Gonna either take the 4" moonclipped redhawk with moonclipped specials, or this K-frame with .38's and speedloaders, depending on which I shoot better this weekend out plinking at the range.  Probably the redhawk.

I sure wish someone still made a K-frame .357 sized gun today.  Dan Wesson M15, Smith K-frames, Colt Troopers, Ruger "sixes."  I don't like L-frames and I don't like locks.  The GP series from Ruger is too big.  Colt and DW are gone.  Sigh.

No comments: