Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Progressing at Steel

Last week I improved to 121.24 seconds, and ran flawless for 3 out of 4 stages as far as reliability was concerned.  I was all set to break 100 seconds, actually.

Then I shot the last stage and came across some rounds that turned out to be too large in crimp diameter, measuring 0.474" across at the mouth.  Grr.  Argh.

So... this week I went through 200 rounds that I made on my Dillon Square Deal B, and hand-chambered them in my Colt Government 1991 barrel (removed the barrel from the slide to do this quickly and easily).  Of those 200 rounds, 182 seem to chamber reliably.

I have those 182 rounds set aside.  I will run them in my 5 known good magazines (3 wilsons and 2 ACT's).  In theory, I should run a flawless night, and hopefully clear 100 seconds tonight.

In theory.  :-)

I also cleaned the lube-sludge that oozes out when loading .45 with lead bullets, so the chamber should stay cleaner longer.  I'll also run the bore snake through it once between the 2nd and 3rd stages, just as a preventative maintenance issue.

No comments: