Tuesday, January 5, 2010

More Steel

Well, I'm finally shooting halfway decently at the steel matches.

Last time I went, I ran the course in 142.32, right-smack in the middle of the pack of D-rank shooters.  All the Grand Master shooters are still running the same courses in about 45 seconds with the tricked out race guns in the space-man holsters.

I had one gear issue that appears to be caused by my lead roundnose reloads.  I wasn't flaring the case quite enough and I was getting wax/lead residue on the case mouth, affecting headspace.  I changed my press to flare the case a bit more, and I went out and tested the results this last weekend.  The cartridges look cleaner and function just fine.

So, that should save me about 10 seconds hopefully.  Put me closer to the top of D-class if my reloads work properly tonight with no malfunctions.

Also got a really good pointer last time:  To build speed, I need to assume that my shot is good and bring the gun down out of recoil and onto the next target immediately.  Right now, I am bringing it down out of recoil and preserving sight picture onto the previous target, like I do with rifle shooting.  I'll try that tonight.

So tonight will be my Colt 1991 government pistol.

No comments: