Sunday, January 9, 2011

January: 2 down, 1 to go

OK, I'm already 2 for 3 for January shooting events.

I did Steel last week with a time of 119.24 seconds.  There's a 10 second penalty for doing 3 hits on one target rather than a 2+1 combo (5 seconds per miss).

I learned:  Don't go with multiple batches of reloads.  I have two different types of 124gr LRN bullets.  I know that one batch hits lower than the other.  I suspect it's because one bullet is significantly shorter than the other despite being the same weight.  This results in more case capacity and lower pressures on ignition.  Probably lower velocity is causing the lower impact.  Or less recoil somehow due to the lower pressure causing less muzzle rise, or something.  But one set does hit lower than the other.  Part of why I had that 10 second penalty was due to this.  The 2+1 was in a vertical arrangement.  I put 3 on the "1" target that was below the "2" target.

So, I've spent the last week loading up about 1000 rounds of pistol ammo, all 100% identical.

I imagine that some of my other misses can be attributed to my mixed loads too.  At this point I'm good for 6 or 7 sessions.  Maybe as many as 9 if my accuracy is high enough... each night requires 96 hits, typically.  I tend to shoot about 125 rounds a night.

And, I did High Power today.  This was a 50 round match with 20 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 rapid seated and 10 slow standing.  I did a 176-3x, 80, 80 and 66 for a total of 402-3x.

No misses, so that's good.  I've had bad results with standing the last few times out, flubbing up 1 or 2 shots with misses.  My rapid prone was well centered, but low.  2 minutes higher and it could easily have been a 92 or higher, with a couple more X's.  I muscled the seated too much.  I tried cross legged and couldn't find a good NPOA from there, and I went open legged instead.  Even then, I was muscling my support hand upwards.  Need to rediscover how to control seated elevation.  I was all over with it.  2 10's, 2 9's, 2 8's, 2 7's, 2 6's.

Standing, I'm lucky if I can hold 12MOA.  More dryfire practice.  A must.

All in all, I'm pleased with the 402-3x score.  And the slow prone score.  And that I've concretely identified places to improve.  with 3-4 months off of shooting rifle in a disciplined manner, it's better than I had anticipated.  I also think it's a personal best for this format of match.

No comments: