Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Shooting Resolutions

I've made some New Year's resolutions related to shooting:

1.  Shoot centerfire pistol with a purpose at least once a month.  Steel match, a class or some sort of competition.
2.  Shoot centerfire rifle with a purpose at least once a month.  High Power, a class, or perhaps a 3-gun match.
3.  Shoot rimfire pistol at Rio Salado's rimfire steel matches once a month until there is nothing  more for me to learn from the experience.  I bought a Browning Buckmark pistol, a decent holster and 5 magazines to facilitate this.
4.  Shoot rimfire rifle at Rio Salado's Tuesday Tactical Rifle matches once a month.  Start off with my Marlin 795 with Williams peep/fiber optic sights, but consider the purchase of a more "tactical" .22 rifle once I learn more.

This is a LOT of shooting.  That's about a brick of .22 a month, 150 rounds of pistol and 50-100 rounds of rifle ammo.  1800 rounds of pistol ammo a year (~$150 or so if 9mm reloads), $240 worth of rimfire ammo, and $400 worth of .308 ammo.

I've added all these events to my Outlook calendar on my computer.  Fortunately, the rimfire rifle and centerfire steel matches happen on the same nights.  This is still a 3-day per month commitment at a minimum.

Putting it to print right now, to help keep myself honest in regards to it.

No comments: